Would you like to submit a story to us? Guidelines are below. Please follow our submission guidelines closely, otherwise your submission may be misdirected and you may not receive a response.
To inquire about article reprints contact our editors by email: email@example.com
To make a purchase from the Guernica Store, please go HERE.
To subscribe to our free newsletter, please go HERE.
To work for Guernica, go HERE.
Guernica Inc., a not-for-profit corporation organized under the laws of the State of Delaware, has been granted tax-exempt status as a charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. All contributions made to Guernica Inc. are deductible to the extent permitted by applicable tax law.
General Submission Guidelines
Please read these guidelines in their entirety.
- We ONLY accept ELECTRONIC submissions, via email, sent to the proper email addresses listed below.
- With rare exceptions, writers are not compensated.
- Guernica will hold exclusive rights (on the Internet and in print) to your piece for 90 days, after which you will retain the rights; your story will remain archived online. Please see our detailed submission terms below.
- Should your work be published in a collection at some later date, we’d appreciate the standard acknowledgment.
- Please one submission at a time, no multiple submissions.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, as long as you immediately notify the Guernica editors that your piece has been accepted elsewhere.
- We rarely accept a submission solely from the pitch. To avoid delayed responses, please send the full manuscript you’d like us to work with.
- We are ONLY interested in original, unpublished manuscripts. Your work MUST be unpublished, including your personal website or blog. (If a translation, the translation must not have been published. The non-English version may have been.)
- When submitting your work, allow at least eight weeks for a response.
- Place your submission in an attached Microsoft Word file. Please do not copy and paste it.
- Format the document correctly: put only one space between each of your sentences, not typewriter default of two spaces.
- For all correspondence regarding your submission, please re-send your original email so we can find your original submission more easily.
- Additional, specific guidelines for nonfiction, fiction, and poetry are below.
By submitting your work, you are acknowledging that you agree to all of the following Terms and Conditions should we select to use your work for our publication:
Terms and Conditions
- You represent that you are the sole owner and author of the work and own all copyrights in
the work. If your work consists of an interview, photograph or likeness of any subjects, you
represent that you have written permission from each identifiable person in the work to use the name or likeness of each person as a subject.
- You will retain all ownership rights to the copyrights to your work.
- You agree that all work submitted are without any financial consideration from Guernica,
now or in the future.
- You are giving permission to Guernica and its assignees to publish, distribute and use your
work in any manner Guernica deems appropriate, including publishing on any of our websites, print publications, e-mail newsletters, etc.
- In addition to the permission granted in item 4, you agree to grant Guernica an exclusive
license to publish your work for a period of ninety (90) days after the date we first publish your work.
- You acknowledge that any opinions and other statements expressed by authors of each
work are not the opinions of Guernica. As such, you agree that Guernica will not liable for any potential lawsuit that could arise from your work. We reserve the right to remove your work from our publications without prior notice.
Departments (Specific Guidelines on How to Submit Your Work)
by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In subject line (please follow this format exactly): “nonfiction submission [YOUR NAME]”
length/quantity: 1 essay/less 3,500 to 7,000 words
by email: email@example.com
In subject line (please follow this format exactly): “interview submission [YOUR NAME]”
We prefer the full interview manuscript rather than a pitch. All interviews must contain an introduction (check our Interviews archive for examples). If your interview emphasizes anywhere how lucky you were to get time with your subject, your subject’s generosity in sitting down with you, or otherwise sycophantic feints, we are less likely to run it. Please allow eight weeks before querying about the status of your submission.
by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In subject line: please include the words “Guernica Daily submission [YOUR NAME]” plus a few words identifying the topic of your piece.
length/quantity: between 400 and 1,400 words.
Guernica Daily is a daily publication of short original features. (We also syndicate selected pieces from partners like Tom Dispatch and Alternative Radio.) We look for thoughtful, argument-driven pieces that respond to timely issues. Reviews and interviews are also welcome, as are personal essays if they show that the author’s experience has broader implications. Please read some recent pieces to get a sense of what we publish before submitting.
We prefer finished pieces but will consider well-thought-out pitches.
by email: email@example.com
attn: Fiction Editors
In subject line (please follow this format exactly): “fiction submission [YOUR NAME]”
Length/quantity: No fewer than 1,200 words and no more than 3,500 words/one story or novel excerpt per submission.
PLEASE NOTE: Guernica strongly prefers that its fiction has an international outlook. Works in translation are especially welcome—as long as we will have the rights to publish the piece. Guernica tends to publish stories that have a beginning, middle, and end; fiction that enlightens the reader about culture and place. We don’t publish satire or genre.
Fiction that exceeds our 3,500-words guideline are usually solicited. Stories that are too-short for us will not be accepted, unless solicited or grouped into numbers of two or more that meet our word count. Stories that are too long: if you strongly feel you’re right for us, send it.
Send ARCs of your fiction to:
P.O. Box 219 Cooper Station
New York, NY 10276-0219
by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
attn Erica Wright
Send up to five poems of any length. Translations welcome. Email submissions strongly preferred.
Please send any snail mail correspondence to:
800 Peachtree St. NE, #8231
Atlanta, GA 30308
Art / Photography
by email: email@example.com
attn: Art Editors
In subject line (please follow this format exactly): “art/photography submission [YOUR NAME]”
Please attach low-resolution JPEGs to your email along with a brief description of your project. Please do not send links.
General Inquiries, Feedback
by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
by regular mail:
112 W 27th St. Ste 600
New York, N.Y. 10001
To Reach Our Publishers
You can contact our publishers by email: email@example.com