Guernica welcomes submissions from writers and visual artists at all stages of their careers.
Please read the following guidelines in their entirety. We are currently accepting submissions in the following categories:
Shortform nonfiction - News, Reviews, Commentary (including op-eds and essays), and Q&As, typically of fewer than 2,500 words.
Longform nonfiction - Essays, Memoir, Reportage, and Interviews of typically 2,500 - 7,500 words
Nonfiction submissions are currently closed, please check back in February, 2019.
Fiction - typically 1,500 - 7,000 words. We do not publish flash fiction or genre pieces
Poetry - Please send 4-5 poems in a single file. Translations welcome.
- We accept only electronic submissions using the Submittable system.
- Please one submission at a time, no multiple submissions.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, as long as you immediately notify the Guernica editors that your piece has been accepted elsewhere.
- We provide modest honoraria for most poetry, fiction, multimedia and longform nonfiction pieces, including essays, memoir, interviews, profiles, and reportage. The exact amount is determined on a per piece basis.
- We typically do not pay for shortform pieces, including but not limited to news, reviews, Q&As, and commentary under ~2,500 words.
- We rarely accept nonfiction submissions solely from the pitch. To avoid delayed responses, please send the full manuscript you’d like us to work with.
- We are only interested in original, unpublished manuscripts. Your work must not have been published elsewhere, including on your personal website or blog. (If it's a translation, the translation must not have been published. The non-English version may have been.)
- Guernica will hold exclusive rights (on the Internet and in print) to your piece for 90 days, after which you will retain the rights; your story will remain archived online. Please see our detailed submission terms below.
- Should your work be published in a collection at some later date, we’d appreciate the standard acknowledgment.
- Allow at least sixteen weeks for a response.
- Format the document correctly: put only one space between each of your sentences, not typewriter default of two spaces.
- By submitting your work, you are acknowledging that you agree to all of the following Terms and Conditions should we select to use your work for our publication.
We’re now open for multimedia submissions in all forms, including photo, video, audio, social media projects, or a mix of genres.
You can send us a completed submission to consider, or send an introduction to your work for a more open collaboration, and we’ll get in touch if a suitable opportunity arises.
The only way to submit your work is through this form. We are not responsible for submissions sent to the wrong address.
No fewer than 1,200 words and no more than 4,500 words/one story or one UNPUBLISHED excerpt from a novel, per submission. YOUR WORK MUST BE UNPUBLISHED, INCLUDING ON ANY PERSONAL BLOG POST.
Fiction appearing in Guernica that exceeds our 4,500-words guideline is usually solicited. Please note: We do not consider ourselves a forum for flash fiction. Stories that are too short for us will not be accepted. We do not serialize work over multiple issues.
Guernica strongly prefers fiction with a diverse international outlook—or if it's American, from an underrepresented or alternative perspective. (No stories about American tourists in other countries, please.)
Works in translation are especially welcome as long as we will have the rights to publish the piece. Guernica tends to publish stories that have a beginning, middle, and end; fiction that enlightens the reader about culture and place. We don’t publish satire or genre. We don't publish fiction that is more political screed than a story.
We must have exclusive rights for 90 days after publication, and we'd appreciate credit if your piece appears in a forthcoming book.
PEN Guernica Flash Fiction is SOLICITED ONLY — AND IS ON HIATUS. No submissions will be accepted for that section.
Below is our mailing address for ARCs. DO NOT send your short fiction to this address. We do not accept works on hardcopy.
If you have an ARC for us to read and wish that it be considered for an excerpt:
93 Fourth Avenue
NYC NY 10003-9998
Please send up to five poems of any length. Translations are welcome. If you need to withdraw an individual poem, you can add a note to your submission.