When opportunities for fellowships, internships, and staff positions become available, we post them here.
- Guernica Fellowship Program
- Photo Editor
Guernica Fellowship Program
We are pleased to announce that Guernica is looking for applicants to join its spring/summer fellowship class. The program, which runs from the beginning of January through June, aims to provide deep training in magazine editing and production, coupled with opportunities to work on a dedicated writing or multimedia project with an editor-mentor. We estimate the weekly time commitment to be from ten to fifteen hours. Up to five emerging writers, editors, and multimedia journalists will be selected for a six-month fellowship, which will include:
– Opportunities to work across the editorial planning and production cycle of the magazine
– Fact-checking and copy editing
– Reading submissions
– Contributing ideas for forthcoming issues
– Assisting with publicity and social media
– Developing at least one piece for publication
– Mentorship from senior staff and training from industry professionals
Our focus when reviewing applications will be on finding emerging writers, journalists, and editors with clear passion for digital publishing and literary reportage, and evident intellectual curiosity.
To submit, please include:
1) A cover letter with biographical information, including related experiences, why you want the fellowship, and how it relates to your professional ambitions.
2) A three- to five-page writing sample or link to portfolio of multimedia work; both published and unpublished work is fine.
3) A pitch for a project you’d like to work on during the fellowship.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through Submittable and the reading period will close by November 10.
Guernica values diversity and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds; however, we are only able to consider candidates residing in the greater New York area. Only applications received through Submittable will be reviewed. For any questions, please contact: email@example.com.
Guernica is looking for a photo editor to join its all-volunteer team. This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to lead and create an identity around multimedia features, the magazine’s newest section, shaping the editorial vision for photographic and other multimedia content.
The successful candidate will have latitude in defining the specifics of his/her role, but general duties include the following:
- working closely with the magazine’s leadership to develop a guiding editorial strategy for the section
- securing one to two photographic or multimedia features per month
- collaborating with editors across the publication to realize timely content and projects
- cultivating a body of possible contributors
- helping grow interest and engagement in Guernica’s visual content through social media and special events
- managing unsolicited submissions
- helping supervise editorial assistants and fellows
Guernica values diversity and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds; however, we are only able to consider candidates residing in the greater New York area.
Guernica is a close and collaborative community, and in addition to editorial talent we look for kindness, flexibility, curiosity, a sense of humor, and a willingness to occasionally chip in across the magazine.
To apply, please send a cover letter, CV, and links to relevant work that you have produced or edited to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note “Photo editor – NAME” in the subject line.