When opportunities for fellowships, internships, and staff positions become available, we post them here.
- Photo Editor
Guernica is currently seeking an experienced copy-editor. The ideal candidate will have worked as a professional copy-editor for magazines, newspapers, and/or literary journals; be familiar with the Chicago Manual of Style; and have a strong interest in global social and political issues, the creative arts, and the perspectives of underrepresented populations. They will also have a meticulous eye for detail.
Primary job responsibilities will include:
- – Copy-editing approximately ten to thirteen pieces — a mix of fiction, long-form nonfiction, interviews, and poetry — a month, over the course of a two-week period, in WordPress, in accordance with the Chicago Manual of Style and our own style guide. (Familiarity with WordPress is a plus.)
– Regularly updating Guernica‘s manual of style, which outlines points of departure with CMOS.
– Attending monthly all-staff meetings in Brooklyn, New York, and bringing style suggestions to the table.
Guernica’s style guide is very much a living document, and we feel that our copy style reflects not only our aesthetic sense, but the culture of the magazine. We’re looking for someone who’s interested in ongoing conversations about copy conventions and who’ll introduce those discussions to our broader staff — motivated team players eager to help diversify and strengthen the magazine as a whole.
Guernica is a volunteer-driven publication and all editorial positions are unpaid.
Please send résumé and a cover letter to co-EIC Hillary Brenhouse at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 27, 2018. Candidates will be asked to complete a copy test.
Guernica is looking for a photo editor to join its all-volunteer team. This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to lead and create an identity around multimedia features, the magazine’s newest section, shaping the editorial vision for photographic and other multimedia content.
The successful candidate will have latitude in defining the specifics of his/her role, but general duties include the following:
- working closely with the magazine’s leadership to develop a guiding editorial strategy for the section
- securing one to two photographic or multimedia features per month
- collaborating with editors across the publication to realize timely content and projects
- cultivating a body of possible contributors
- helping grow interest and engagement in Guernica’s visual content through social media and special events
- managing unsolicited submissions
- helping supervise editorial assistants and fellows
Guernica values diversity and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds; however, we are only able to consider candidates residing in the greater New York area.
Guernica is a close and collaborative community, and in addition to editorial talent we look for kindness, flexibility, curiosity, a sense of humor, and a willingness to occasionally chip in across the magazine.
To apply, please send a cover letter, CV, and links to relevant work that you have produced or edited to email@example.com. Please note “Photo editor – NAME” in the subject line.