Guernica Art Fellowships
We are pleased to announce that Guernica is looking for art fellows. The fellowship, which runs from the beginning of July through December, aims to provide training in editorial art direction, design, and illustration coupled with opportunities to direct and develop work for published writing and special projects under the mentorship of the Art Director. We estimate the weekly time commitment to be from ten to fifteen hours. Please note that because Guernica is run by an all-volunteer staff, this position is unpaid. Two early career and aspiring illustrators, designers, and art directors will be selected for a six-month fellowship, which will include:
- Opportunities to work across the editorial design and art direction process for the magazine
- Sourcing, commissioning, and creating original editorial art and illustration
- Working with editorial illustrators and artists and art directing work alongside senior AD
- Helping to develop the design and art program of the Guernica brand
- Developing at least one piece for publication
- Mentorship from senior staff and training from industry professionals
Our focus when reviewing applications will be on finding emerging visual creatives and students with a passion for visual communication in the publishing and editorial space.
To submit, please include:
1) A cover letter with biographical information, including related experiences, why you want the fellowship, and how it relates to your professional ambitions
2) A resumé
3) Relevant work samples or a link to a portfolio of relevant visual work (design, illustration, or art direction)
4) A short response to the following question: What aspect of visual production and image-making are you most passionate about, and what would you like to focus on during the fellowship?
Guernica values diversity and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. Please apply through Submittable by June 10, 2020.